This slideshow is for the main banner on top of the site.
The Buffalo County Training School
The Buffalo County Training School began classes in 1902 in this building which now houses the Alma Area Museum.
This is a round barn on the Herold bluff.
Many barns sit idle these days. At one time there were a number of round barns in the county. This one was on the Herold bluff. Photo courtesy MaryAnn Hurlburt
This threshing crew is ready to move in the Praag area
Note that the stack is in front of this machine. E. F. Ganz once wrote that \\\"The machines were kept going into the winter as long as deep snow allowed for stack threshing. To lug an outfit from one valley to another on bobs was not less common than for a man to carry a borrowed breaking plow across the bluffs on his back.\\\" Photo courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Wilferd Schaub
The Huber buffalo herd from Rose Valley, near Cochrane
The Huber brothers brought a buffalo bull back from the West by using a buckboard with the floor removed as a travelling corral. This bull helped them form the only buffalo herd in the county since the white man had appeared in 1839. Prior to that, Father Louis Hennepin had named the Buffalo River when he was taken past it in 1680 and saw buffalo near the mouth of the river.
Real horsepower was often used in Buffalo County
Horsepower was used to move a building in Gilmanton. The structure is still used for the post office. Photo courtesy Velva Molland
The Alma Area Historical Society is located in the old Buffalo County Teachers College building at:
505 South Second Street
Alma, WI, 54610
The society president is:
1003 South Main Street
Alma, WI 54610
For questions about the Alma Area Museum, contact:
244 North Main Street
Cochrane, WI 54622
The museum is open June-Oct, Sun, 1-4pm and Sat 1-3pm. It is closed for 2010, and will reopen on June 4, 2011.